Women With a Cause provides economic development programs that focus on
education and skill training for women to enable them to be
lifted out of poverty and lead them to self-sufficiency.
History of Women With a Cause
Inspired by a World Vision AIDS Day Breakfast in 2005, Women With A Cause founder, Susan Kiely, learned about the plight of women in the developing world and a journey began.
Women With A Cause is dedicated to providing training in areas where there are job opportunities for women. In Hyberabad, India WWAC developed training centers to provide classes in sewing. In Yetebon, Ethiopia a center for women has been established that provides computer training. In Addis Ababa, Ethiopia we are partnering with the Mother and Child Rehabilitation Center to educate mothers in sewing, tailoring and hair styling.
In Denver Colorado, Women With A Cause is partnering with, but not limited to, Community College of Aurora, Community College of Denver, Regis University, University of Colorado School of Nursing, Metropolitan State University School of Hospitality, and Emily Griffith Technical College. These partnerships will provide opportunities for homeless and/or low income mothers, as well as, female veterans to take classes.
Women With A Cause is an all-volunteer organization made up of women who use their gifts and talents toward alleviating poverty and changing the lives of women around the world.
- In 2017 we will graduate four Scholars with BSNs (registered nursing)
- Two of our recent graduates have earned their BS in Health Care Management
- One of our Scholars will graduate with her BS in Intergrated Health and will earn her BSN
- One of our pre-law Scholars is continuing her education in law school
- One of our single grandmothers, who is raising her grandsons, has earned her CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)
- One of our graduates is working as a Phlebotomist and has her certificate in that field
- Three of our graduates have their certificates in Dental Hygiene and are working at dentist’s offices
- Partnered with the Rose Andom Center to improve the lives of domestic violence victims by combining community resources in a single safe location
- Partnered with Denver based 501c3 agencies to build temporary and permanent housing for homeless and low income women.
- Established the WE Initiative that will provide education for homeless and/or low income mothers and single female veterans
- Created awareness of Third World conditions for women through events such as International Women’s Day and workshops
- Equipped a sewing/training center, as well as, hair styling classes at The Mother and Child Rehabilitation Center in the capital city of Addis Ababa in Ethiopia.
- Established computer training center in Ethiopia
- Created patterns for non profits that teach and employ poor women in Thailand and Ghana.
- Enabled dozens of women from the United States to go to India and teach sewing skills to impoverished women
- Launched a program that educated over 800 Indian women in the area of sewing and self-empowerment through financial education and micro lending techniques
- Launched “one of a kind” silk jacket business in Hyderabad, India
- Helped establish a primary school in Uttamary, India
- Built two training centers in India
Meet the visionaries who have worked to develop Women With A Cause Foundation
from the beginning and along the way.